Hello Sports fans,
So yeah, I finally decided to replace the OS of our 1 year old desktop machine. I figured since yesterday was the last day XP was gonna be supported By Microsoft (sure there were gonna be updates till April of 2014 but hey It needs to go into pasture and enjoy retirement, for true this time), I should do the update. Boy, was I ever wrong. Lemme regale you with a chronology of what happened.
- 1:00 PM – Woke up after only 4 hours of sleep. Decided to do a clean sweep of Vista with SP1 on my machine. prepared discs and external hard drive and then off to get some ice tea.
- 1:30 PM – backed up using hard drive and formatted drive using Gparted. Time to boot on the vista DVD.
- 1:34 | 2:25 PM Completed install of Windows Vista Ultimate but found a couple of things not working correctly. It seems that I was unable to open my control panel and my security center and anything managed by “SLUIMGR”. “Damn, a lemon install” I thought to myself. After digging around found a batch file that’s known to fix it but no luck. looks like I need to reinstall again.
- 2:45 | 3:35 PM – Gave up fooling around with the cmd and services, loaded up only needed components (AVG Free, Drivers, Foxconn Chipset) and resigned my self to perform OSRI again. This made me think, “I may be back to XP after all :(“
- 3:36 | 4:35 PM – Off to verk crestfallen.
There you have it. I hope to have better luck when I get home.
[Edit| 6:14 pm]